Week 3
Social Media Comments:
How to Respond to the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
This week’s post will be focused on the on how companies should engage with negative and positive feedback posted by followers on their social media platforms. Tips will be provided on how to formulate a plan of action when responding to negative comments as well as the importance of acknowledging comments that will build a stronger bond with followers.
The Bad and The Ugly
Anyone that has an account with social media platforms - we’ll focus on Facebook and Twitter in this case - is bound to run across negative social media posts. Are followers swayed by others comments? Do their bad experiences or opinions towards a product or service steer them away from the brand? The answer might be yes. A brand's first reaction may be to delete the post, get rid of the evidence, or try to ignore the situation. However as stated by author David Kerpen in Likeable Social Media:
“the do-not-delete rule states that unless a comment is obscene, profane, or bigoted, or it contains someone’s personal and private information, it should never be deleted from a social network site” (Kerpen, 2015).
Deleting a follower’s negative comment, or even simply ignoring it, is “the ultimate screw you” towards them (Kerpen, 2015). So what should a brand's plan of action for this situation consist of?
Responding Quickly
Taking care of a situation quickly, within a 24 hour period, and publicly will show other followers that the brand is interested in what they have to say and create a form of trust and loyalty. When you first come across a negative post on social media, begin by apologizing publicly on their post. Brands should check with their lawyers to make sure the response language doesn’t admit the company to any wrongdoing and is consumer friendly. They can post phrases such as “I’m sorry you had this experience” or “I’m sorry you feel this way” and offer assistance in solving the issue. Next, follow up with a private message further offering assistance (Kerpen, 2015). This will result in promoting strong customer service skills.
But what if the brand you're working for has over one million followers - let’s say Nike? For this scenario brands must prioritize their responses by gathering the negative comments and looking at the followers’ profiles. Do they have a lot of followers? Do they engage with their social platform constantly? If the answer is yes, they move to the top of your response list.
For a brand to go above and beyond the issue and exceed follower satisfaction, take the following into consideration. Have you ever been to a restaurant and the waitress completely messes up your order, then the manager comes over and offers you a free dessert or a percentage off of your bill? The same tactic can be applied to negative comments on social media. Brands can offer unhappy consumers a refund or a gift, such as a discount off of their next purchase, in hopes to resolving the issue.
Fixing an issue publicly on social media shows followers that the brand is concerned about their consumers and are willing to do what it takes to make them happy. Who knows - if a brand fixes the problem they just might receive a great comment from that once unhappy customer and boost your reputation and image.
The Good
While it is important to always stay on top of those who are unhappy with a brand's products or services, it is also important to acknowledge those who are posting positive comments. “Each day, millions of positive comments to and about brands on social networks go unnoticed or are given no response” (Kerpen, 2015). The best rule of thumb when it comes to responding to these comments is by first thanking them, then follow up by a personalized message portraying the brands voice. This personal touch will help the brand connect on a “more direct, more humanly” (Kerpen, 2015) level with your consumer.
The Takeaway
When it comes to negative and positive comments on a brand social media platform it is essential to value all consumers’ opinions and voices. Positive customer service can go along way when it comes to maintaining and building brand reputation and relationships.
Points to Think About & Respond To
1. Not all brands follow the rules of engaging with negative comments. How do you think this effects a brand? Do you know of any brands that have ruined their reputation due to this issue?
2. What is your current company’s plan of action when it comes to responding with negative and positive comments?
Resources
Kerpen, D. (2015) Likeable social media (2nd ed.). M
Kerpen, D. (2015) Likeable social media (2nd ed.). M
Kerstin,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your first blog post for our course. You're tactics to responding to negative feedback are poignant. I especially like the fact that you added the reminder not to only focus on the negative posts. The good comments and positive reviews are just as important to address. A simple 'thank you' affirms the customer that your company is genuine. Also - because the responses are public and often show up to others in addition to the commenter, others will see the kind response. That way all the organization's public replies aren't seen as defensive.
Laura Scaviola
Hi Laura,
DeleteThank you for your comment. Kerpen brought up the topic regarding how brands put the majority of their focus on dealing with negative comments. However, by trying to prevent their brand reputation and image from being damaged, they forget how powerful a "thank you" can be. Brand's need to have an equal focus on followers who provide positive comments so they can continue to build stronger bonds and create more loyal customers (Kerpen, 2015).
Whether a comment be negative or positive, social media platforms provides an outlet for endless conversation. Engage with consumers, hold discussions with them, and don't hold back from carrying out conversations that go beyond one or two responses. Personalized conversations shows the consumers and all of your followers that you brand does care and that they are being acknowledged by more than an automatic response. As Kerpen stated,"Facebook is the single most viral platform in marketing history" (Kerpen, 2015). One "thank you" can go a long way.
Resource
Scott, D. M. (2015). The New Rules of Marketing and PR. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons.
Exactly. I think conversations are underrated on social media. This is especially true for some larger corporations who probably don't have the manpower or time to respond intricately to each customer. In my blog post this week I asked how some larger corporations can connect with their customers given this limitation. I'm curious to hear my group's responses.
Delete"your* tactics" ahh, my pet peeve!
ReplyDeleteYour point about responding to positive feedback, as well as negative, is very important. We often focus on how easy it is to talk about a horrible experience on social media, but if a customer is so moved and takes the time to give you a compliment or endorsement they shouldn’t be ignored! If the same customer called your company to offer praise, and they were ignored, you only managed to convert a happy customer to an unhappy customer.
ReplyDeleteWhen I visited NYC a few months ago, part of my decision to stay at the hotel I chose was seeing that they promptly responded to almost every review on Google… both positive and negative… with a unique response. I felt confident that if I did experience a problem that they cared enough about my visit to take care of it.
Hi Victoria,
DeleteThank you for your comments.
At my pervious job (Gone For a Run), one of my roles was to manage our social media platforms by creating content and engaging with our followers. It was then that I learned the importance of responding to all of our customers, whether the comments be negative or positive.
During our Father's Day virtual race, Dad's Footsteps 5k, we had received countless race recaps (followers posting their times and experiences). Inspirational stories were shared, including a post of a military father "running with his family" while he was overseas in Afghanistan, a daughter running in honor of her father who was battling cancer, or children participating for or with their fathers. I made it my goal that personalized messages were posted on every comment on our social media platforms thanking runners for their participation along with a message that related to them. I like to believe that one reason why we always had returning runners and sold out events was due to the time spent relating to all of our customers.
Personally, I have had experiences on both sides of the issue. About a year ago, I was having issues with Verizon Wireless - my phone line was phished and someone was fraudulently making calls on my line from the Dominican Republic. Despite providing documentation that I was not there over the months these calls were made, nor have the ability to go (no passport), Verizon was unwilling to credit my account back the charges. They insisted that I pay the bill in full (sometimes over $1,500) and then they would credit back my payment should they find that I truly didn't make the calls. I took to Twitter. I tagged Verizon Wireless and their Customer Service divisions in a number of tweets. They picked up on the tweets and decided to send me direct messages on who to contact to resolve the issue. After reaching out to their contacts in consumer fraud, I was left in limbo. I reached the point of frustration to which I tagged the Consumer Affairs reporter at WNBC in NY, as well as lodge a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Once their advocates picked up on those tweets, my account was resolved within 48 hours. Unfortunately, as I look back at my twitter account over the past year, it is mostly filled with negative tweets about companies or business that have had poor service. That is a personal issue that I hope to move away from.
ReplyDeleteOn the other hand, I have recently been on the receiving end of a great deal of negative social media mentions, being the manager of a music program that sent a band to the Trump Inauguration. Regardless of how the situation came to be, it was apparent that those on social media were not going to be kind in response of the decision to attend. After meeting with other members of the administration, it was decided that the best course of action as individual employees was to have our Chief Public Affairs Officer handle all social media and traditional media reactions. I am not sure if there were any individuals engaged on social media in response to their negative posts or tweets, I am confident that the social media was well monitored for any potential threats to the College or students. As well, a statement was released through traditional and social media regarding the issue. Institutionally, I wonder if this was the proper response or should more have been done to have this conversation with the public? Maybe a better question is, when does negative commentary hit a critical mass and become an institutional crisis?
Hi Michael,
DeleteAfter all the trouble you encountered with Verizon wireless, are you still a customer? If so, why did you stay with them after that experience?
Knowing your position at Marist College, I was going to ask you about the comments regarding the Trump Inauguration as it was a prominent topic on my Facebook newsfeed. I remember receiving the initial email from President Yellen, informing the Marist Community that the band was going to take part in the parade. Within minutes, the email spread to Facebook and comments began rolling in, creating a lot of controversy. With this instance, along with the NCAA, and recently announced federal travel ban, I believe that Marist Public Affairs should take part in the conversation on social media and interact with their student/alumni community. For examples that question political and cultural views, such as those, I believe it becomes an instant issue that the institution needs to quickly address.
When it comes to negativity spreading on social media, brands and institutions should have a crisis communication plan set up to manage the problem and provide a solution.
I would have to agree Kerstin. With the divided lines in politics and the state of the current situation in the US with travel bans etc., these are topics people feel passionate about and are very vocal about -in protest and on social media. Monitoring accounts for negativity is critical because these things can escalate on social media and they require a prompt response.
DeleteBrands needs to have a strategy in place and be prepared on how to address. Dave Kerpen in Likable Social Media recommends you have a bible for social media responses and have the resources available to be able to respond to all posts. (Kerpen, 2015, pg. 101) This is key particularly in a crisis situation.
Monica
References
Kerpen, D. (2015) Likeable social media (2nd ed.). Mcgraw Hill
Kerstin,
DeleteUnfortunately, I am still a customer of Verizon Wireless. Between being locked into a contract with heavy termination fees, and a discount offered by my employer, leaving them would have caused an unnecessary financial hardship. I feel as though Verizon realizes the situation leaving them would cause for many consumers, and in turn lets their customer service diminish in quality.
As for my employer and social media, I honestly think that this situation should be used as a case study in managing negative social media and crisis communication. Thankfully, we have had some time to move forward from the Inauguration.
Great Work Kerstin :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Zachary.
DeleteI enjoyed reading your blog post "MylifethroughGD_Branding" and can relate to your comment of being loyal to a brand due to sharing similar beliefs. In today's society so many brands are beginning movements - Toms, Lokai, Dove, etc.- and consumers are drawn to becoming part of a community and making a difference.
I have a question for you: For you personally, does brand engagement on social media play a role in becoming and maintain brand loyalty. If negative comments were to be made on Nike's social platforms and the brand didn't handle the situation correctly, would that impact your views of the brand? Would you still maintain a strong connection? Now what if a smaller brand you were loyal to, let's say a local surf shop, had issues on social media? Does the size of the company matter?